A beautiful bichrome clay vessel, dating to the 5th or 4th century B.C., and decorated in cream slip, dark brown and red matt glaze. The jug has horizontal bands of differing width and a wave band. Below this are bundles of vertical lines as well as S-shaped arrows. Above the horizontal bands, on the shoulder, is a frieze which contains blossoming tendrils and schematic human figures. The high neck is decorated with stars. The single handle shows wavy and straight lines. A magnificent vessel with wonderful colours.
For the shape see Maximilian Mayer, Apulien vor und während der Hellenisierung, mit besonderer Berücksichtigung der Keramik (Leipzig, Berlin, B.G. Teubner, 1914), Tafel 27, 2.
For the decoration (tendrils, sketchy lines, composition) compare Pietro Romanelli, Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum: Italia, Museo provinciale Castromediano di Lecce (Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum, Italia, fasc. 4), pls. 5.10, 17.5, 17.8, 17.12.
Second half of fifth - first half of fourth century B.C.
Height 20.9 cm.
Estate of Hans-Ulrich Rutschmann, Switzerland, 1950s-1970s.
A small area of restoration to the lip, else intact; some surface wear and staining as shown.